Monday, May 2, 2016

Week #80 - Words of Wisdom for the Mom & Dad (and brothers)

Mom & Dad,

Haha sounds like the little brothers dont know how to learn from the big brother. Some lessons just dont enter the brain until we are humble enough to hear them, you just have to nourish them into that humility. Unfortunately often times humility comes from failure, loss, and trials. Dont try to stop those things from happening too much in their lives or they wont get it till later when the stakes are higher. Thats how God humbled the people in Alma 32 (see verse 6). And thats a lesson I learned from President Monahan. He told me-

"Elder Dahle, your spiritual growth is on the Lords time-table. You cant rush it. But you can prepare yourself for the time-line events that he has already placed in your future through obedience and scripture study. That is what makes or breaks us"

Get them into habits of regular scripture study. You may have to be creative to make it happen, and I will help when I get home. But that is the most valuable tool they can have to succeed... But on the other hand they may just have to learn like me haha.

Anyway, this week was AMAZING! No one was sick! I have a slight cold because rainy season started but thats all!

Okay here is some cool news. This Wednesday we have a Zone Conference with Elder Bowen of the Seventy (he gave a talk a few GC ago). Elder Ian Ardern (the one who interviewed me) has been called somewhere else in the Quorum of the 70, and Elder Bowen is the new President of the Philippines Area. So we will get to see him this week. Heres the cool part; Elder DaBell and I have been asked to sing a special musical number at the conference haha. YIKES!!! We have had only 2 practices, but we are just going to have to hope thats enough because that is all the time we have. Please please pray for us haha.  We are singing "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" just the normal arrangement out of the hymn book in the key of F#. We will sing the 1st verse in parts (he will sing the melody and I will sing tenor). Then we will sing the 6th verse; I will sing the 1st half and he will sing the second. Then we will sing the 7th verse in parts A Capella. Needless to say; I am pretty nervous about it. But I know that even if we suck Elder Bowen will still smile so its okay.

Anyway. LESTER CAME TO CHURCH!!! And he brought his cousin. He wears a white shirt and dress pants and a neck tie so at first the members forgot to fellowship him because they thought he was a member haha. But we went and got a couple young men to hang out with him and his cousin so they didn't feel unwelcome. And tonight we are going to their house to teach them how to do Family Home Evening haha. (Just to let you know now. My companion wants to be nice and buy pizza and bring it to the FHE. I am down because you know how much I love pizza. However. Pizza is a delicacy here. Meaning it is not as cheap in comparison to other food. It is cheaper than it is in the US. But here it is quite pricey. I will spend about 880 pesos (so somewhere in the ballpark of 9 dollars) I know that sounds like it isnt that bad, but I feel for some reason I should let you know I will withdraw money to pay my half. 9 dollars sounds like nothing but 880 pesos is like WOAH haha. As an overall warning. I am really trying to be thrifty with money (for example I dont hire a tagalaba, I just handwash my own clothes), but to be honest the cost of living here in Dagupan is higher that all my other bukid areas. So dont be alarmed that I withdraw more than before. You just let me know if it is too much. I am also starting to collect a few souvenirs slowly.

Anyway, I hope you all have a good week and I am so excited to see you on skype:) hopefully it all goes well.

Elder Dahle

No comments:

Post a Comment